Now, 15 years since the turn of the twenty-first century, technological, industrial, and cultural exchanges across borders are becoming increasingly active because of the rapid advance of globalization. Meanwhile, the world population has also been growing: thirty years ago it was only five billion but is now over seven billion, and has been estimated to reach close to ten billion in 2050.
Population growth in emerging countries makes concerns about resources (e.g. food and energy, the environment, and economic disparity) international issues. Addressing these issues will require a large number of organizations, including businesses, associations, and academic institutions, to coordinate their activities and cooperate using a fundamental but long-term perspective.
Headspring provides energy solutions that “promote locally produced energy for local consumption” in emerging countries through the development, introduction, and expansion of smart energy technologies. We utilize the knowledge and technologies accumulated in those initiatives to help create a sustainable recycling society.
- In pursuit of innovative solutions through collaboration
- Headspring has eliminated the practice of “vertical management within each department” and instead, in principle, uses task forces. This can be compared to jam sessions. Rather than relying on fixed divisions of labor within the organization, we have our specialist staff produce their own ideas from different perspectives, according to each case, and work together to achieve innovative solutions. That is the Headspring way of doing things.
- Highly specialized power electronics technology solutions
- Absolute essentials in the development of power electronics are combining various technologies and optimizing several requirements that are normally incompatible with each other, which is exactly why our extensive knowledge, variety of experience, and special expertise are so essential in this field. Since we own almost all the diverse technologies necessary for the development of power electronics and our colleagues and collaborators have a wealth of developmental achievements that can be used together to accomplish the required tasks, we can highly optimize the requirements in a short time to shape our products.
- Cooperation with people in emerging countries in the creation of energy systems
- We have been launching projects that focus on increasing the efficiency of energy together with local ESCO operators in emerging countries such as India and Myanmar. The purpose of these projects is to create new energy systems in emerging countries and support their continuous development. It is never easy to do business in emerging countries that differ from Japan in culture and business practices. However, that is all the more reason to take on the challenge of these projects with our entrepreneurial spirit.
- Support for continuous development for communities in the low income bracket※, which is estimated to total more than 4 billion people worldwide.
In emerging countries, a large number of villages have no access to national power grids. Microgrids* can utilize solar or wind power in the generation of electricity and thus are more suitable than the establishment of wide-area power grids in those areas. We help to develop microgrid systems in such areas and remain active in deploying projects in emerging countries.
※ Microgrids refer to small-scale energy networks that are comprised of energy supply sources and energy consumption facilities, etc.